Monday 3 April 2017

Task 2c; Reflective Theories

Task 2c;  Reflective Theory

Looking back on my critical reflective writing for Task 2b and the theories I took from Readers 2 and my own research it allowed me to relate this to my own practice. Looking again at Readers 2 there is a lot more information to support the way of thinking, reading and writing, in this essay I will be talking more about these practitioners ad the effect they have on my work and the work of others.


John Dewey;
In Task 2b I spoke about the work of David Klob's learning cycle and explained how it related to my practice when dealing with other work colleagues. The cycle reminded me to be mindful about the stage of the cycle colleagues are at with the information I'd given them. The learning cycle was developed by Klob but influenced by John Dewey and Kurt Lewin.
John Dewey 'considered a philosopher' (Hildebrand, 2008) was interested in experience and saw education as an experimental action. While he defined the education process as 'continual reorganisation, reconstruction and transformation of experience' (Dewey, 1961) he also used an inspiring quote 'interaction with the arts led to a unique and valuable experience' (Dewey, 1934).
This is refreshing to read as it shows you can not only learn from the arts but have a creative experience to come away with. I relate this to my practice as I'm learning everyday whether it be educational based or creating a piece of movement, most of the live work I see today has an educational meaning behind it which is perceived through movement, accompanied by visuals, sound and the use of light.

 Since moving to London two years ago I go to see a lot of live dance performances at Sadlers Wells. I'm mainly interested in Contemporary dance choreographers even though I do not work in this field I enjoy watching this style the most. The mixture of work Iv seen over the months have been so interesting and have left me coming away feeling I've learnt about new culture, tradition, a particular emotion or a theme that is portrayed in an abstract way.
 Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan performed last May a memorable piece that I found so interesting. With the use of fire, branches and covering the stage in rice the piece portrays a Buddhist monk stood still while safron rice falls from the ceiling onto his head. The stage then fills with three tonnes of rice later to be raked in a continuous spiral filling the stage. This made me instantly research more on Buddism and what relation to the rice it had, it also taught me that there are no boundaries when performing and how important the props you use to portray a theme plays.

http://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2016/cloud-gate-theatre-of-taiwan-songs-of-the-wanders/

Dewey also spoke about if people had full engagement with their lives they would become more mindful about the world they live in,

'If people had full experience and therefore full engagement with their lives they would be better able to be a better part of society, fully engage with democracy and spend time solving worldly problems' (Readers 2, p.4)

This is something that has grown very important to me since moving to London and has a personal effect on my everyday life. Since moving to London I found myself young and in my own bubble, I didn't care for much or where things came from but since doing my research and finding the things that matter to me over the past 2 years I have made some important life choices that I would never go back on. Living a more sustainable lifestyle is something I can be creative with knowing I'm helping others and the world I live in.


Kurt Lewin;
Lewin focuses on the reflective thought process he uses to break down his experiences. He uses a cycle of idea, fact finding or research on the idea, action, evaluation, planning, action.
This cycle reminds me of Klob's cycle and how helpful this way of working is as I mentioned in Task 2b this is a really helpful to identify the different stages that people work.


Howard Gardner;
Howard Gardner developed the idea from Klob's learning cycle and said 'people are intelligence in a number of ways' and created multiple intelligences (Gardner, 1983). Gardner's theory was broken down into different section to help identify different intelligences,
Spiritually
Verbal - linguistic
Logical - mathematical
Bodily - Kinaesthetic
Musical
Interpersonal - understanding people and relationships
Interpersonal - relates to one's emotional life as a means to understand oneself and others.
(Naturalistic - relates to nature and natural world to find meaning)

These different sections are individual, they are personally effect an individual's life and the way they turn their experience into learning. Gardner later on introduces the 'multiple lenses' as way to see things (Gardner, 2005) this was used as a tool to identify how yourself and others work and give value to the different ways we engage with real world experiences.





Jennifer Moon's 1999 theory shows the five stages of learning which once researched I think is the most broken down easy to explain theory and would relate to teachers helping their students well.

''By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.'' (Jennifer A. Moon, Reflection in Learning and Professional Development: Theory and Practice (Sterling, Virginia: Kogan Page, 1999)



No comments:

Post a Comment