Tuesday 11 April 2017

Task 3a; The Networking Professional - Current Networks


Part 3; The Networked Professional

Task 3a; Current Networks

Looking back since graduating almost three years ago the hardest thing for a performer to do is to get their first job, in preparation for this I was attending auditions and castings throughout my last year and a half of training whilst getting my first set of headshots and completing my study. At the time this is a bit overwhelming and scary but I come to realise that the training I received in the past was setting me up for for my future in the industry.
As I write down my current pool of networks I notice how many different people and applications I would connect with for work, I even end up networking with friends in a social environment, nevertheless since moving to London two years ago I today have a strong network base that I work with or have connections with.

In Task 1 I spoke about my use of Professional Communication Technologies an how they are relevant in my practice. When making notes on my networks half of them I source and connect with through social media. Using applications like Facebook and Instagram so an employer gets a feel of what I'm like it's easy to connect to each other. Many times I've been contacted through Facebook regard in a job or audition or to send further material onto an employer/companies email. It also allows you to see how established a company is and information about the work they do, it will include a link to previous work on Youtube or contact details for further information. A prolife called 'The Hustle' on Facebook regularly posts different performance and modelling based work where I can have quick contact with someone about a job that could be that day or in the future.
 I use applications alongside my social pages that work as an agent and can connect you with employers. 'Dancer Pro, The Stage, Talent Cast' ect,  are applications that allows me to create a professional profile stating my information, CV, and what I'm interested in, I can then apply for different jobs posted on the sites that include the job role, relevant information pay and contract info that is relevant to my work. Employers can then view my profile and choose to contact me. I have received a lot of work through these applications and like the professional manner that's kept with using it. Some employers prefer not to converse through these sites and immediately send an their email over to have further contact with me through.

https://www.dancerspro.com/uk/

Email is what I use most to professionally connect with work so keeping in touch with my email is important. I start by sending all my material over to companies/agencies I'm interested in working for and they reply either stating what they are looking for and if they can offer me an audition or work. As a freelance artist I usually have to send a lot of emails out including my photos, CV and link to showreel on YouTube expressing my interest to get different employers attention, this can be time wasting at time as some people will not read or reply to your emails but can also be rewarding when they do.


Attending auditions are always a good way to network even if the job I'm auditioning for isn't a job I'm very passionate about, I always meet so many people at auditions and there's always waiting time where I connect with other performers or people that are more involved with a section of the industry. Auditions spaces are usually at dance studios and the more popular one 'Pineapple', 'Danceworks' normally will have a board with auditions coming up to keep in the known or contact beforehand which is always really helpful. When graduating I signed with an agency to help me connect with employers and get my image into the industry. This was something that really helped my career early on as it allowed you to concentrate on auditioning while my agent searched for future auditions and work and contracted with them in a professional way. The industry is a small circle of people and at times its who you know so anyone who can help you with contacts or work is a relationship to look after.

https://www.pineapple.uk.com/studio/index/filter/
I also network with current and past employers, keeping a professional relationship with directors, choreographers and other performers in the industry is really important as they can recommend you for work whether it be in London or overseas. Over the last two years I have been in contact with a lot of mutual friends from previous work which shows how small the industry is. Artists that are higher up than me in the industry have an even smaller circle of people to network with so keeping in the know of what's going on is also important. Since taking my role as Dance Captain I've noticed how my network of people has slightly changed and some people have contacted me for from the industry for information on my job


No comments:

Post a Comment